Skip to main content

Seeing God Where I am


O God, who created all peoples in your image, we thank you for the wonderful diversity of races and cultures in this world. Enrich our lives by ever-widening circles of fellowship, and show us your presence in those who differ most from us, until our knowledge of your love is made perfect in our love for all your children; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 
 Carolyn A. Rose
I've had the distinct privilege in life to have traveled to various places, some vastly different from my home, and some quite similar.  Regardless of the magnitude of differences, I can always feel the uniqueness of the place. After a while, certainly I long for the familiar comfort of home... but I always return with a fuller heart and a more open mind. Then it's like a siren song calling me back to seek more, ask more, learn more and inwardly digest it to build me into a more understanding and compassionate being. 

In a class I am taking, we were posed this question: How have your own culture and your experiences interacting with other cultures influenced your view of God, faith religion, worship and your deep desires and loves? 

Wow!  So... I need to learn from my adventures not just have them. I need to consider my own biases, my prejudices (yes, we all have them), my family, my heritage, my social circles, my work life and how they impact who I am today and how they guide my spiritual beliefs. I must examine who I am today from the person I was earlier in life.

I love this question because it has caused me to consider why I hear the siren song of travel and mission and others don't. What is it that causes me to yearn for deeper, more challenging experiences? 

Here's what I determined. 


My inherited culture taught me to be cynical of other cultures and beliefs, not necessarily distrusting, but to consider them as outcasts of sorts, not eligible for the gift of God’s grace because they did not believe in my God in the same way I did.
Interacting with other cultures has greatly influenced my view of God, faith, religion and worship. Now, when I am privileged enough to be in the midst of someone different from me or in some place different from the place of my youth, I feel an energy and curiosity. I want to know more… humanity becomes illuminated in a vivid abstract display of colors and this captivates me.  When I experience places and people unlike those of my background and heritage, I have to ask, what do they rely on for comfort, what do they do for fun, how do they manage grief and sorrow, how do they express joy and celebration… do they eat dinner at the table each evening, how many pairs of shoes do they have, do they drive a car, do they…?  From the simple to the complex, my mind swirls with curiosity. When I am in their world and observe their celebrations and customs, I am then open, almost compelled, to see God in a new light.  I have to ask, why is MY God more compelling, more loving, more omnipotent than theirs… are their customs such an affront to my own, or can I find beauty and elegance in their ways and delight in its uniqueness. If I get down to it, I really have to ask, “is their god a different god, or do we love and worship the same God in a different way?” If I see them as human, a mom or dad, working, feeding their family, being a friend, laughing together, communicating, eating, and being in community…. Do I see God in that community? Absolutely, sometimes more clearly present than in my own. 
When we embrace the differences of others, it shines light upon our own lives… illuminating the dark places we are afraid to accept or even acknowledge, the needs we didn’t know we had, and joys we had not previously experienced. The veil hiding the differences and identifying them as blasphemous or socially unacceptable is lifted to reveal nothing less than God’s love and grace.
This observation has developed within me great desires to understand more about how others see, experience, and worship god, to experience their way of life and to share in their joys and sorrows.
I am a more responsible human being, a more compassionate listener, and a better friend because I see both the differences and similarities in our lives, and I am comforted in knowing my God is truly a compassionate, versatile and wonderful God. 

The peace of Christ my friends. I am blessed by your presence.
La paz de Cristo mis amigos. Soy bendecido por tu presencia. 
La paix du Christ mes amis. Je suis béni par votre presence. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessings

  Wyatt It's been over ten years since we said our final goodbye to the human form of our son. Following his death we created a nonprofit organization to help support the Wyatt Lambeth Legacy Welding Scholarship at Lively Technical College. Through this foundation, we granted $500  scholarships to 38 students in the Lively Welding Program and distributed multiple  grinders and Georgia boots.  The scholarships have been a healing salve and each donor, each recipient, and each person who applied for a scholarship was and is a valuable part of our grief journey. Selecting recipients was challenging and we always wished we could give more, could help more. Ultimately, the gift is knowing we do what we can and each person who received a scholarship, a grinder, or a new pair of boots, was one step closer to the future he or she set in motion.  In our hearts we are confident Wyatt would be pleased to help his fellow students in this way.  While we have dissolved the foundation, the schola

She wasn't Perfect, but she was Glorious

My friend died. Its been a few months now, but in the process of grieving, that is not a long time. In my life, I haven't lost a lot of friends, so this path is a bit uneasy for me. Yet, with this loss, as with the others I've experienced, I can't help but first be grateful for the gift of a unique and wonderful life. I miss her laugh, her visits and telephone calls that always began with "hello sweetie." I miss singing at the top of our lungs to old time rock and roll, dressing up at Halloween and driving around at Christmas to look at the lights. This was my friend with whom I shared most of my life, from early childhood to well into my 50s.  My friend with whom I slugged through adolescence, and dared and dreamed a brief bit of our twenties. Ultimately our differences tore us apart and there was a long period of separation of our daily lives. We did not separate ourselves out of hatred or disdain, we simply recognized we had become very different people fr

The Yin and Yang and a Rock

A husband and wife (spouse/partner) generally have different ways to soothe their sorrows, express their grief, and to move forward in life. Finding a balance that respects each other is imperative to land in a healing place. Moving forward can be challenging and scary because all the while you want desperately to keep alive the memory of what was once the living representation of your union.   My husband and I have very different ways of coping with our grief. I see him as an active griever. My way is a bit more clandestine. He finds comfort in listening to the songs our son enjoyed, driving his truck, visiting the places he went. For him, these things are a connection to our son.  To be in concert with a person who knew Wyatt, or to be in a place they were together is a heartbeat for him.  Me, I retreat to a veiled silence. The songs, the places, the things; more often than not, they evoke fear and sorrow in my heart.  The marrow of my being hurts and I all I can do is