Skip to main content

The Yin and Yang and a Rock


A husband and wife (spouse/partner) generally have different ways to soothe their sorrows, express their grief, and to move forward in life. Finding a balance that respects each other is imperative to land in a healing place. Moving forward can be challenging and scary because all the while you want desperately to keep alive the memory of what was once the living representation of your union.  



My husband and I have very different ways of coping with our grief. I see him as an active griever. My way is a bit more clandestine. He finds comfort in listening to the songs our son enjoyed, driving his truck, visiting the places he went. For him, these things are a connection to our son.  To be in concert with a person who knew Wyatt, or to be in a place they were together is a heartbeat for him.  Me, I retreat to a veiled silence. The songs, the places, the things; more often than not, they evoke fear and sorrow in my heart.  The marrow of my being hurts and I all I can do is retreat and hope to breathe. 



With the goodness of a friend and the attentiveness of a companion, my husband understands my silence. He knows when to push me out of the shell and when to shut the door and give me space. When pain injects itself in my heart and sorrow clouds my mind; he is there.  He knows to hold my hand and wipe my tears.  He respects my needs and seems to truly understand my path. If I say I can't, he waits and when it's time, he shows me we can, I can.



The absurdity of my retreat to solitude is not lost on me.  Even as I do it, I know it is nefarious. It is in the light of friendship when I am alive. When I see our son's friends my heart leaps.  When I can wrap my arms around their beautiful children my soul brightens. When Wyatt's friends surround us, we are transported to another place where he is also with us, it is in their presence we know the yin and the yang of life's joys and sorrows.



There are reasons we survive a trauma and an understanding love rates high up there in my mind. Love in all is iterations soothes an aching heart and is a bridge to healing. When we share the sorrow, we share in healing. Here's to you my sweet James, for holding me when you could barely stand yourself, for continuing to be my rock in this treacherous walk. 



You have treated me with patience

You have held me when I cried

You carried me in from the rain

You listened to my fears

You held my hand 

You walk with me into the unknown

You are my rock. 

Comments

  1. Dear Marion, you are a most fortunate person in that you are supported by your sweet, loving Jim. The journey so difficult eased by the love you, Jim and Wyatt share. May you be washed in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sheila, You are so right, I am blessed with a person who, if doesn't always understand, certainly knows how to handle my ways. "Washed in peace", what an absolutely wonderful blessing.... I wish the same for you and Bill.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessings

  Wyatt It's been over ten years since we said our final goodbye to the human form of our son. Following his death we created a nonprofit organization to help support the Wyatt Lambeth Legacy Welding Scholarship at Lively Technical College. Through this foundation, we granted $500  scholarships to 38 students in the Lively Welding Program and distributed multiple  grinders and Georgia boots.  The scholarships have been a healing salve and each donor, each recipient, and each person who applied for a scholarship was and is a valuable part of our grief journey. Selecting recipients was challenging and we always wished we could give more, could help more. Ultimately, the gift is knowing we do what we can and each person who received a scholarship, a grinder, or a new pair of boots, was one step closer to the future he or she set in motion.  In our hearts we are confident Wyatt would be pleased to help his fellow students in this way.  While we have dissolved the foundation, the schola

She wasn't Perfect, but she was Glorious

My friend died. Its been a few months now, but in the process of grieving, that is not a long time. In my life, I haven't lost a lot of friends, so this path is a bit uneasy for me. Yet, with this loss, as with the others I've experienced, I can't help but first be grateful for the gift of a unique and wonderful life. I miss her laugh, her visits and telephone calls that always began with "hello sweetie." I miss singing at the top of our lungs to old time rock and roll, dressing up at Halloween and driving around at Christmas to look at the lights. This was my friend with whom I shared most of my life, from early childhood to well into my 50s.  My friend with whom I slugged through adolescence, and dared and dreamed a brief bit of our twenties. Ultimately our differences tore us apart and there was a long period of separation of our daily lives. We did not separate ourselves out of hatred or disdain, we simply recognized we had become very different people fr