Skip to main content

As with light, there is darkness



As with many things in our lives, there is a requirement for balance. Life is a bit like the human body, fragile, complex, and unpredictable.

We know the story when the balance is off…. It’s generally bad, if not initially… it gets there.  The balancing act of life is encompassing and requires synchronizing various parts to produce a fluid and positive outcome. This all makes sense in the world of doing… but not so much in the world of being.  Of being human, filled with emotion, tossed about by life’s ups and downs.  That balancing act requires us to hurt, to push through the wall of emotion, and to either break through to the other side, or succumb and die. 

Think about emotions and their counter-point… With confidence, one must also know fear. With intolerance, one must also know empathy; with joy there is the shadow of sorrow. When the balance is off and one emotion takes the hill, we enter the danger zone. Danger is sinister, it smells vulnerability.

Danger creates chaos.  

Chaos darkens our perspective. 

For me the dark times have done more than disrupt my daily life, they have changed my life… oddly, I would say I am better for it.  I wouldn’t say my life is better, for I don’t know what my life would be if it were different… but I believe I am a better person because of the darkness.  Color the world in darkness and somewhere light will shine….   Bring forth the hounds, and the fox with start.

I still get anxious when the darkness descends. When darkness creeps in, I want to run away and hide from everyone and everything; retreat to a safe space.  This I’ve discovered is my way of confronting the beast. I must meet the darkness so I can enter the light. The darkness overwhelms my body, causes my heart to race, my thoughts to run amok and anger and frustration to bubble within.  Once I’ve felt the chaos, like a wicked and furious storm, the calm enters.  The calm is rational thought, clarity in reality and the beginning of being able to address the problem or break down a situation. The beauty of time is that this process has become more familiar and I more adept at accepting it as part of my life. 

I still hate the darkness and the process of breaking through it, but as with most things, the more we do it, the more skilled we become.  I don't believe I will ever welcome the darkness, but now I can recognize its presence and have begun to build the tools needed to work through to the other side.   I wish this practice didn’t hurt my heart so much… but it does. Thanks be, I have enough in me to want to get to the other side. 




As with hope, there is fear
As with sadness, there is joy
As with anger, there is tolerance
As with loathing, there is longing
As with failure, there is accomplishment
As with darkness, there is light

©2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessings

  Wyatt It's been over ten years since we said our final goodbye to the human form of our son. Following his death we created a nonprofit organization to help support the Wyatt Lambeth Legacy Welding Scholarship at Lively Technical College. Through this foundation, we granted $500  scholarships to 38 students in the Lively Welding Program and distributed multiple  grinders and Georgia boots.  The scholarships have been a healing salve and each donor, each recipient, and each person who applied for a scholarship was and is a valuable part of our grief journey. Selecting recipients was challenging and we always wished we could give more, could help more. Ultimately, the gift is knowing we do what we can and each person who received a scholarship, a grinder, or a new pair of boots, was one step closer to the future he or she set in motion.  In our hearts we are confident Wyatt would be pleased to help his fellow students in this way.  While we have dissolved the foundation, the schola

She wasn't Perfect, but she was Glorious

My friend died. Its been a few months now, but in the process of grieving, that is not a long time. In my life, I haven't lost a lot of friends, so this path is a bit uneasy for me. Yet, with this loss, as with the others I've experienced, I can't help but first be grateful for the gift of a unique and wonderful life. I miss her laugh, her visits and telephone calls that always began with "hello sweetie." I miss singing at the top of our lungs to old time rock and roll, dressing up at Halloween and driving around at Christmas to look at the lights. This was my friend with whom I shared most of my life, from early childhood to well into my 50s.  My friend with whom I slugged through adolescence, and dared and dreamed a brief bit of our twenties. Ultimately our differences tore us apart and there was a long period of separation of our daily lives. We did not separate ourselves out of hatred or disdain, we simply recognized we had become very different people fr

The Yin and Yang and a Rock

A husband and wife (spouse/partner) generally have different ways to soothe their sorrows, express their grief, and to move forward in life. Finding a balance that respects each other is imperative to land in a healing place. Moving forward can be challenging and scary because all the while you want desperately to keep alive the memory of what was once the living representation of your union.   My husband and I have very different ways of coping with our grief. I see him as an active griever. My way is a bit more clandestine. He finds comfort in listening to the songs our son enjoyed, driving his truck, visiting the places he went. For him, these things are a connection to our son.  To be in concert with a person who knew Wyatt, or to be in a place they were together is a heartbeat for him.  Me, I retreat to a veiled silence. The songs, the places, the things; more often than not, they evoke fear and sorrow in my heart.  The marrow of my being hurts and I all I can do is