Skip to main content

If today I could express how I feel...

If today I could express how I feel, I would tell you that I miss my son with every ounce of my being. I miss his smile, his laugh, his great broad shoulders, his thick curly hair, his reddish beard, but most of all, I miss him. I miss the boy I raised, the child I taught right from wrong and the beautiful young man that he was becoming.

I miss my son.

I miss his big strong arms picking me up and holding me in a bear hug. I miss him giving me a “memew hug.” I miss seeing him put Elizabeth on top of his shoulders and run around the house.

I miss my son.

I miss the way he was always there for his memaw and his grandma. I miss the way he respected his elders and yearned to learn from them and be a better person for them.

I miss my son.

I miss him fussing about my cooking or not having sodas in the house. I miss fussing at him for eating too many hamburgers. I miss caring for him and making sure he’s taking care of himself.

I miss my son.

I miss washing his clothes and picking up wet towels off the bathroom floor. I miss buying him toothpaste and deodorant.

I miss my son.

I miss the joy I felt every time he walked in the room.

I miss my son.

I miss his smell, his laugh, his smile. I miss my beautiful, wonderful boy.

I miss my son.

9.10.10 MWL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines

People have amassed shrines for years.   In Prague there is a wall dedicated to John Lennon; flowers and photos adorn the gates of Princess Diana’s home in London; an eternal flame shines for the unknown soldier; Shinto shrines celebrate wind, rain, mountains, trees and rivers; we bury our dead and mark the grave with a headstone….we want a marker of those things valuable and important to us.   That is how we feel about our dead children; we don’t want our children to be forgotten, we must remember them, others must remember them.   My son's boots are my shrine to him.   His boots are the only thing left from his accident.   They sit there, worn but whole, and I see him, I think of him, I remember him, I love him.   His boots do that for me….they create an instant recall of him, his person, his character, his life. Don’t tell me to put the boots away, don’t tell me that is it unhealthy to hold on to things that recall his memory…it is...

Hunger

There is a vast void in my heart right now; just emptiness.  I can't seem to collect my thoughts or make sense of much of anything.  I don't have any desires, no wishes, no hopes, just a body devoid of life.  It's like when you open the refrigerator and it's full of food and there is nothing in there you want to eat, so you shut the door and walk away yearning for something to satiate your hunger.  I'm hungry and I know there is plenty of food out there to ease my hunger, but I don't want any of it. Yes, at times I can laugh and smile at things in life and I believe it is essential to embrace this life for what it is....embrace those you love, laugh with those who entertain you, cry with those who need comfort, and dance with those who celebrate. It hurts to embrace it, but it also comforts, it is the ultimate paradox.  I receive comfort from helping others who are experiencing pain or grief, there is something palatable about being able to empathyze...

Looking at New Grief

  I looked new grief in the face today. I hurt. I saw the pain, the hopelessness, the deep sorrow of grieving a child. His eyes were tired, and then he laid his head down on the mailbox that stood between us, my neighbor and me. The fatigue of grieving covered his face and his body was bent with the heaviness of it all. This is his second loss, the twin to the son he lost thirty years ago. This one comes with trapping and thoughts unlike the first. It’s hit him hard. There are no more children, his wife is dead. He’s alone. He’s lonely. He’s sad. I ache for him. I want to make it all better for him, but I know I can’t, this is his journey. He says I’m strong. He sees me breathing, walking, he believes me to be strong. I share that my times of wailing and crying are done in private, and it hurts so badly to open your heart and allow the sorrow to be, to know the absence, to acknowledge the death, to understand all that was lost and to have it seared into the soul and vanq...